November 7, 2008

P


This time of year I have some sad moments as I watch P try to enjoy the upcoming holiday season just like the other kids. We get Christmas catalogs galore and the kids are all so excited to look through them. P will follow them around and try to look with them and be so excited and they just don't realize that it means as much to her as it does to them. She can't have them because she rips them apart and then will eventually eat them. Yesterday I watched as "A" was looking in a catalog at the dining room table. She kept running back and forth to show her brothers the things she was finding. All the while she wasn't noticing that P was hopping back and forth across the room trying to look too. It about brought me to tears. The other kids love her to death but sometimes they just don't realize that she needs to be included. Because she can't talk and doesn't really ever get discouraged and complain to them, because she doesn't have the ability to, they don't notice that she would like to participate too.
So, I decided that I needed to make her a Christmas catalog of her own. I took one of the higher end catalogs that are full of beautiful, and expensive, things that we won't be buying :o) and ripped out the pages and put them into sleeves in a 3-ring binder. She was ecstatic to say the least and hasn't put it down since. She has her OWN Christmas catalog :o)

5 comments:

  1. That is a really, really cool thing Jen! I will have to make Joshua one too!!! Thanks. Give P some big hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! what a fantastic idea!!
    Harli would have LOVED this~
    now she subscribes to her own zines...thanx so much for sharing this!
    Tami~ mom to Harli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...whose always telling me I'm so creative???? The catalogue for P was an awesome idea! I'm sure she loves it to death. You're such a sweet mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I picked up 3 of the Toy*Us wish books the other day. One for each of the younger kids so they can circle the things they like. They love wishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I took your idea and did the same thing with Joshua's Angelman Calendar. He LOVES, LOVES to look at it, and we call all the kids his "friends" and he was SO EXCITED when I gave him the new notebook with the calendar in page protectors. It is not in order, but he doesn't care. :-) I still have one on the wall too, I always order extra. Joshua says thanks for giving his mama the idea!

    ReplyDelete