August 25, 2008

Simply Fabulous :o)

That's how I would explain our first dayof school. I was so worried that it would get hard to be able to read lessons to two kids at the same time. It worked fine. I have one start with a journal while I get the other one going on some work and then just go back and forth from there. We actually got quite a bit done today. After lunch I gave them the option of doing more work or going outside to play. 'A' wanted to do more work and 'W' went outside for a bit and then decided that school was more fun so he came back in and did some more work :o)
I did have a realization of sorts today. I was asking my daughter questions and if she didn't know the answer I was thinking "hmmm, should I tell her or make her think about it more?" I then realized that when a kid goes to public school they have a class of 20-30 kids and when the teacher asks a question they have a 1 in 20-30 chance of having to answer it. When they are here with me they have a 1 in 1 chance of being called on, lol. I guess it's not so bad for Mommy to answer a few of my own questions when the little brains gets stuck :o)
I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. To sit next to 'A' and read to her about Social Studies subjects like economics, civics, history, and geography and see her little lightbulb get brighter and then ask her questions and see her little ticker ticking was quite fascinating. And to read a story to 'W' and have him be able to answer all of the questions correctly and really be excited about it was great. It's cool to really see them think and then have them be proud of themselves for figuring it out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that your first day went well. It's so great to see how they grow and think and change from day to day, otherwise, why homeschool?

    My question is how did you keep J, P and A2 busy while the other 2 were schoolin'?

    ReplyDelete