September 2, 2008

1st Day of School!

Today was the first official day that we start school. We are already about 3 weeks ahead of schedule but that's fine with me. Things come up and days might be missed so it's nice to have a little leeway.
Today was also P's first day of school. The way they do it at the school here is that the first day you are required to attend school with your child. The Principal has several orientation meetings so you can pick one that meets your schedule, and then you go and meet the teacher with your child, stop by and get school pics taken, and then you both go home. It's pretty cool. So I went to school with P and visited with the teacher. I don't have to do the orientation meetings because she's in special ed, and I already know the teacher because this is her 3rd year with her.
A2 is starting late because we still have to do her IEP on Thursday. She's going to need and one on one aid so I don't know if they have someone available or have to hire someone so who knows when she'll start. Anyways, I won't go into details of options since I did that once before but we'll see what happens with her.
So, this evening I get to sit in front of the computer and mark off all of the assignments that my kids have done already. I did some this morning but it takes a while because I have to make sure they have every element of each assignment done. Some assignments include a reading and then a couple of pages from one book and a couple from another. Some have assessments that I have to fill out online that tell how they are doing and some have tests that I have to print, have them do and then fill in the answers online. It can get a little time consuming but I love it because I know they are on track with what other kids their age are learning, except that it's faster, better understood, and nothing "extra" (see "why we homeschool" post. Plus they use new and up to date curriculum so they aren't using the same books from years ago like some schools do.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are finding your homeschool groove. Good for you!

    We are in the process of re-finding our groove (DANGER: Groove-finding ahead! Should be the sign on our front door). It's fun and interesting and I'm so loving it! Different from where I was last year, I'll tell you that much!

    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete