November 29, 2008

Goodbye Melamine...

According to Wikipedia: "Melamine is combined with formaldehyde to produce melamine resin, a very durable thermosetting plastic used in Formica, and melamine foam, a polymeric cleaning product. The end products include countertops, dry erase boards, fabrics, glues, housewares and flame retardants. Melamine is one of the major components in Pigment Yellow 150, a colorant in inks and plastics."

FABULOUS!!!!!

The other day I heated up a tortilla in the microwave for one minute, on one of my kids' melamine Spiderman plates. When I went to eat it, my tortilla smelled so strong like chemicals that I had to throw it away and start over! And I know you aren't supposed to use them in the microwave, but people DO, and kids WILL.

Anyone want some Melamine plates and bowls?

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, can you post pics of your melamine plates? I have a bunch of plastic plates with Disney Princess, etc. Is this the same? I don't use them in the microwave, but I do put them in the dishwasher... I'm feeling pretty grossed out thinking about it. When will our organizations that are set up to help protect us from this kinds of things kick in and do their jobs?!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    They are the hard shiny plastic plates and bowls. I think almost all of the kids' character plates are Melamine :o( Here's a link to a Disney Princess one on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=melamine+plates+disney&x=0&y=0

    Or a general search comes up with lots of different ones:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=melamine+plates&x=0&y=0&sprefix=melamine

    Ours are made by Zak Designs but there are lots of different companies that make them.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete